Say Goodbye to Gout: A Focus on Prevention and Gout Home Remedies
When people think of gout, they often think of it as a disease of the past. However, it is still very prevalent today. Gout is an inflammatory disorder of the joints (most often affecting the feet). It usually requires many years of uric acid buildup in the joints and surrounding tissues before for gout to develop. Uric acid is a by-product of the body’s elimination of specific waste substances, called purines, by the kidneys. Normally, uric acid is dissolved in the blood, processed by the kidneys, and then excreted from the body in urine. When levels of uric acid in your blood exceeds the processing capacity of your kidneys, it crystallizes, collecting in the joints which eventually brings on a bout of gout.
Most people never know they have uric acid buildup until they experience their first attack of gout. The good news is that gout can usually be successfully treated and controlled with a few changes in diet, exercise, and sometimes medications. As with many bodily diseases and disorders, there are a few gout home remedies worth trying to ease your pain.
Here a few natural remedies for gout for you to try if you are experiencing pain:
• Apply ice to the affected areas to reduce inflammation. Try this for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
• Intake your favorite non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as ibuprofen or Aleve.
• Soak in Epsom Salts. Either a foot soak or full bath according to where you are experiencing pain. Epsom Salts are great for relieving muscle aches and pains because it contains high levels of Magnesium which improves your circulation and helps the body to flush away toxins. To do a full body soak, add two cups of Epsom salts to your bathwater as you fill your tub, and then soak at least until the water starts going cold.
• Apple cider vinegar is also among the great home remedies for gout. Mix two tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar and honey (organic if possible) and swallow it. Do this twice a day and the pain should ease up or go away.
• Add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 8oz water and drink. It will be sour and bitter. You can also mix in some honey to make it palatable.
• Baking soda. Mix ½ tsp of baking soda into 8oz water and drink all at once. DO NOT ingest more than 4 teaspoons of baking soda in a days time because it might raise your blood pressure.
• A lemon juice and baking soda “cocktail”. Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (or approximately the juice of 1 lemon) with ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a glass until it fizzes up and then settles back down, then add 8oz of water and drink immediately.
Foods to Avoid with Gout
To help control gout you should avoid these foods high in purines:
• organ meats(sweetbreads, liver, kidney, and brains are all organ meats)
• seafood, sardines, and anchovies
• meat extracts
• dried peas, lentils, and beans
Foods to Include
Also follow these guidelines when eating:
• Only dairy products low in fat should be eaten
• Drink plenty of water and juices (at least 8 glasses daily) to help flush away toxins from your body.
• Consume more leafy greens and peppers. Also increase your intake of berries, citrus fruits and tomatoes. All of these are high in natural vitamin C. They also contain large amounts of bioflavonoids which reduce inflammation.
• Eating cherries and cranberries which are high in anthocyanins and vitamin c, will help your kidneys in the elimination of uric acid in the body.
• Strawberries have also been shown to neutralize uric acid. Strawberries also contain high concentrations of vitamin C. Its fruit acids, the major minerals (magnesium, potassium, iron, and calcium) and minor minerals(manganese and zinc) are all good for prevention of uric acid build-up.
• Nuts, seeds, and grains, can also neutralize uric acid but not quite as effectively.
Exercise should also become part of your prevention plan and also among your gout home remedies. Put each joint through a full range of motion exercises daily. Besides being excellent for relieving joint pain, exercising will help to keep joint cartilage and muscles strong. Focus equally on strengthening and stretching exercises to keep your muscles and joints at their most supple and strongest.
While having knowledge of gout home remedies is great for the relief of gout pain, you should expend the most effort to prevent gout through dietary changes and exercise.